Morning and a cup of coffee practically go hand in hand for many people. In fact, roughly 64% of Americans drink at least one cup of coffee per day. While the discovery of coffee dates back to the 9th century, Starbucks played a significant role in popularizing coffee in the 1990s, introducing consumers to the idea of specialty coffee drinks made with espresso, milk and all sorts of delicious flavor additions. Today, in addition to the traditional drip and espresso machines, you can find coffee aficionados utilizing all kinds of alternative brewing methods, like pour-over, French press, AeroPress and cold brew. With all the variations on coffee, it's no wonder International Coffee Day now has its own day on the calendar. To celebrate the beloved pick-me-up beverage, we've brought you five different coffee recipes that will not only get you moving, but might also appeal to your unique personality. And don't forget to design your nails to match!
The Boss Babe:
This woman is ambitious, confident and empowered in her professional life. She is internally motivated and doesn't need constant validation to keep pushing forward. She is a natural leader, and her self-confidence allows her to take risks and make decisions with conviction.
3 oz. espresso (2 shots)
1 cup whole milk, steamed and frothed
Sugar to taste
- Add sugar to a coffee mug.
- Prepare two shots of espresso and pour them into the mug over the sugar.
- Steam the milk and froth it for at least 1 minute until it becomes foamy.
- Pour the frothy milk over the espresso and enjoy!
In case you didn't get enough of sheer fabrics last spring, there's more sheer in your future! Whether you dress it up or keep it casual, you'll find yourself slipping into sheer dresses, blouses, classic mesh and romantic lace. Match the look with Dew Me A Favor.
Her Drink: Lavender Honey Oat Milk Latte
2 tsp. honey lavender simple syrup
3 oz. espresso (2 shots)
½ cup oat milk, steamed
Lavender Honey Simple Syrup
¼ cup honey
¼ cup water
1 tsp. dried lavender flowers, culinary grade
- To make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine honey, water and lavender flowers. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, stirring occasionally until the honey is dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit for 30-60 minutes to allow the lavender to infuse. Strain the syrup with a fine-mesh strainer.
- Pour lavender honey simple syrup into a coffee mug. Adjust the sweetness level as needed.
- Prepare the espresso, then pour over the simple syrup and stir to combine.
- Steam the oat milk, then pour it over the espresso to fill up the mug. Enjoy!
*Note: You can use store-bought lavender simple syrup instead. Adjust the recipe by adding 1 ½ oz. simple syrup and ½ Tbps. honey to your mug.
The No-Nonsense Tech: This woman is straightforward, practical and has a no-frills approach to life. She values efficiency, honesty and direct communication, while having little patience for drama and unnecessary emotional outbursts. These characteristics make her a reliable, efficient and enjoyable coworker.
Her Drink: Caffè Americano
3 oz. espresso (2 shots)
6 oz. hot water
- Heat the water until about 158-168° F. Water temperature is personal preference, but too hot and it will take too long to cool down; too cold and it will bring down the quality and taste of the espresso.
- An Americano is typically 1 part espresso to 2 parts water, but can be adjusted to taste. Pour the hot water into a coffee mug. Then pour the espresso into the water. This will help prevent burning the coffee and overall they blend better together this way.
- Enjoy as is, or add milk and sugar to taste!
The Structure Star
This person is known for her attention to detail and accuracy, and values precision in her work — hence creating impeccable nail structures! She is organized and methodical, and often strives to be on time and communicate effectively. She holds herself to high standards and expects excellence in all that she does.
Her Drink: Decaf Caramel Coffee
½ cup whole milk
1 cup hot decaffeinated coffee
Whipped cream (optional)
2 Tbsp. store-bought caramel sauce
1 ½ Tbsp. caramel syrup for coffee
- In a small saucepan, stir caramel sauce OR syrup into the milk. Heat over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until foamy and steaming, whisking frequently.
- Pour coffee into a large mug, then pour the milk mixture over it. Top with whipped cream and additional caramel sauce, if desired.
The Free Spirit
This person values personal freedom, individuality and a non-conventional approach to life. She is spontaneous, creative and has a strong desire for adventure. She typically likes to live in the present moment and appreciates authenticity in herself and others.
Her Drink: Cinnamon Coffee Smoothie
1 banana, sliced and frozen
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup vanilla yogurt
1 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 cup coffee
1 cup milk (any kind)
2 cups ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender, and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a large glass, top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!